Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Fri Aug 16, 2002  2:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Child voice, range, repertoire - serious question (kinda long)

Shannon,

I think it is great that you have a kid who loves to sing. There are
some concerns, in my mind about huge ranges in songs for little
ones (even 11 year olds). I think that its not too surprising when
younger people can sing higher notes with ease, since their vocal
folds are not completely mature, but the caution has to be that
there will be changes. As her voice matures, she may find it
necessary to make adjustments in order to sing the same
literature, or to make the same sounds. In my mind, this is where
the danger lies. Right now, she may be singing very free, but as
her body changes (as it may already be doing), there will be vocal
changes as well. I think I would discourage her from singing (too)
difficult literature for now, focusing instead on other musical skills
(piano, theory, even music history) that will serve her well when her
voice is mature. Of course, don't keep her from singing, but I
would be firm about what literature she should and should not
sing. And if you feel the teacher is abusing her in any way, get a
different teacher.

Now, let me say that I am no expert on children's voices, but I am
(as you are) a concered parent, and a lover of great music. I think
you have to follow your instincts as a parent, as well as know the
new literature on child raising (or vocal pedagogy, for that matter).
So, search your heart on this one, make a desicion, and help your
child understand where you're coming from.

Just my opinion (and I protect my right to be wrong),
David Grogan
Longview, Texas

emusic.com