Vocalist.org archive

From:  "shannonsathome" <Cantante@x...>
Date:  Fri Aug 16, 2002  8:22 am
Subject:  Child voice, range, repertoire - serious question (kinda long)

Off and on over the years, as I've discussed my own vocal training
and challenges, some folks may recall the occasional mention of my
daughter, the three-year-old who, impatient with my attempts to
perform an exercise for my professor, planted her pudgy little hands
on her hips, said "Mom! It's like THIS," and showed me how it's
done. The 4-year-old singing John and Abigail Adams duets
from "1776" in the grocery store ("...and is my lover's, fav'rite
pillow, still firm and faaaaiir... what was there, John, still is
there, John..." in the checkout line got us our fair share of stares).

It's time to bring her up again. I started singing MUCH later in
life, and have no direct experience to use as guidance for where she
is now. I welcome and deeply appreciate your input.

This now-11-year-old is still singing all the time, everything she
can, and that's becoming quite a lot. A couple of months ago she
began weekly voice lessons. Two things she wants to work with
are "Music of the Night" and "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina." (!!)

This teacher is not allowing my daughter to belt this stuff -- or
belt at all, feeling that it's quite harmful for the young voice.
They work on the same things that I did and do: diction, breathing,
posture, interpretation, rhythm, line, vowels, etc. I hear no
stress, no strain at all, no pushing in class, but I still worry
about those two adult songs.

Sometimes I feel that I'm feeling overprotective, but how many 11-
year-olds sing this stuff? I'm fearing the Voice of an Angel example
of what can happen with overlarge repertoire at a young age...

And speaking of range, I'm not finding many online examples of kids
working more than 1.5 octaves of their range. Is that because
children are not supposed to have much range, or is it more that they
have the range, but they just shouldn't use it? This one's usable
range is well in excess of my good, solid, but no Yma Sumac range.

Now this is not a complete surprise -- throughout her life one of her
favorite singalongs has been "Ashes are Burning" in which Annie
Haslam hits and maintains that high Eb(?) several times. I can hit
that note on a good day, but don't ask me to skip around the room
with Barbie dolls while doing so, or to hold it like Haslam does.
But the kid doesn't think it's particularly high.

My ears are telling me that the teacher isn't asking for dangerous
things -- but a lack of info on the web and parental paranoia are
kicking in and making me at least ask the question -- what are the
possibilities for harm to a young vocal mechanism, if any, in
vocalises that cover a range that is large for an adult?

It's not that I don't trust this teacher -- I'm just thinking back on
my own experience of having this friend of a friend, after hearing me
sing a scale or two, declare me a dramatic soprano, and hand me "In
Questa Reggia" as my first piece. Naturally I couldn't do it, and
learned some terrible habits in trying to. Even though that friend
of a friend ultimately _was_ right about my fach, that piece was too
much too soon.

But then, I was clearly straining, and the kid equally clearly is not.

I want to encourage her in anything that gives her fulfillment, but I
also feel the responsibility of making sure that if singing is going
to be what she does, that she have a voice left to do it with -- but
putting too many roadblocks in front of her that leave her frustrated
is also counterproductive.

What to do? She wants to look at Olympia (Tales of Hoffman, not
Washington).

If you've made it this far, you have my heartfelt thanks.

Shannon

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19842 Re: Child voice, range, repertoire - serious quesDavid Grogan   Fri  8/16/2002
19867 Re: Child voice, range, repertoire - serious quesDomisosing@a...   Mon  8/19/2002

emusic.com