Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Fri Aug 9, 2002  1:25 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] music therapy question

You are correct, John. Actually music therapists usually are trained
minimally in music - not anywhere as much as a music education major.
Diane was correct in mentioning the principal instrument of the music
therapist is the guitar. Florida State, my alma mater, has one of the
highest rated music therapy departments in the country. Someone mentioned
that musical therapist were usually in private practice; in my experience,
most of them find employment in assisted living facilities, mental
hospitals, and special interest schools.

Mark

"Sing on the interest, not on the principal" - Florence Page Kimball, to
her student Leontyne Price
"The voice is not a fist." - Fritz Wunderlich
"I sing with a slim voice." - Birgit Nilsson

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, John Messmer, M.D. wrote:

> I realize this has been answered by others and may not be pertinent at
> this time, but I have interacted with music therapists during my career
> and my understanding is their main focus of training is in psychology.
> They need musical skill, but may be able to find a position where use of
> clients' own musical skills is more important than the therapist. If
> your friend is potentially interested, a visit to a school or an online
> review of requirements is appropriate.
>
> John
>
> John Messmer, M.D.
> Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
> Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com