Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue May 30, 2000  8:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: American School of Countertenors (trained ducks)

I agree about the pigeonhole thing, which distorts so many aspects of life,
and yet, when we try to communicate...
Originally there was a contratenor bassus as well as a contratenor altus,
but in this case it was the first word that was dropped. Eventually,
church authorities presumably got around to trusting that boys could be
musically usefully as even higher singers, but what could be higher than
altus? superanum or superius, that's what! But only instruments could have
a useful lower range than the bassus, so contrabassus got to be a big viol.
Continuing this digression: funny how the cantus firmus stayed stuck
relatively low in the texture for a while after these developments, though
a wonderful example of it vaulting into the superius is found in Taverner's
'Leroy' Kyrie. There. Digression closed. john

...> Actually, I prefer that people not push people into any