Vocalist.org archive

From:  "snide76258" <snide76258@y...>
Date:  Sat Aug 3, 2002  1:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] New sacred solos for mezzos

I am not only a singer and voice teacher, but a church choir director
as well. There are MANY new sacred solo books out in the last few
years. (The advent of computer music programs has greatly facilitated
the publication of new editions.)

Some companies like Beckenhorst and Alfred are doing what soloists
have done for years: "re-arranged" choral pieces. Look
for "Spirituals for Solo Singers" by Alfred and several books of solo
arrangements of pieces by Craig Courtney and John Ness Beck by
Beckenhorst.

I have also recently used "Hymn Classics" published by Hal Leonard
(arr. Richard Walters.) These are written for "real" voices, so the
low key regulary goes up to f, f-sharp, and g. The arrangements are
not easy to play, either!

Not to go off on a rant here, but the "mainline" churches are doing
the "traditional" hymns less and less and are doing "Praise and
Worship" type music more and more. IMO, this puts the responsibilty
for preserving this music back on us, the professional musicians. And
believe me, congregations want to hear it!

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Jeff Snider

emusic.com