Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Jul 31, 2002  11:50 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] New sacred solos for mezzos

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Lee Morgan wrote:

> >From Sharon:
>
> >> 2. "A Simple Song" from Bernstein's "Mass" - good for mezzo, low
> sop., or baritone<<
>
> This is such a fun song to sing. It has also gotten a great response from
> my congregation any time I've sung it. However, our organist wasn't the
> least happy about having to play it, because it isn't really organistic at
> all. It is wonderfully vocal, though!

This is interesting. I recently performed this with organ, and have to
admit that the organist had a similar reaction at first - until I
suggested he experiment with some of the other "voices" of the organ. As a
result, we were able to find different "voices" to express the different
moods in different sections of the piece - as well as a flute "voice"
appropriate for the flute solo at the end. The organist was so pleased
with the result that he's still talking about it, and also about looking
forward to working with me on other repertoire where we can be similarly
adventurous in finding appropriate "voices" for different moods in the
music.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:15

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19785 Re: New sacred solos for mezzosSharon Szymanski   Thu  8/1/2002
19790 Re: New sacred solos for mezzosLee Morgan   Fri  8/2/2002

emusic.com