Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omi@u...>
Date:  Wed Jul 31, 2002  9:16 pm
Subject:  re: New sacred solos for mezzos

You might take a look at Three sacred Songs by Joseph Jongen, and (if you
have the budget for a cello or violin obbligato) Deus Abraham by the same
composer.

Also, check out Dan Pinkham's music. He's written a ton of sacred solos --
including Three Latin Motets, Four Marian Antiphons, Three Canticles from
Luke, and Three Alleluias. Some of these are catalogued as being for high
voice, but looking at the music, I think an accomplished mezzo could do
them comfortably. The tessitura looks pretty conservative to me. See what
you think.

Marjorie Merryman has some sacred songs, if I remember correctly. Last I
knew, she was on the faculty at Boston University.

Thomas Oboe Lee might have something too -- check out thomasoboelee.com --
he's a friend of mine; feel free to tell him I sent you.

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com