Vocalist.org archive

From:  norma bowen <normasings2000@y...>
Date:  Mon Jul 29, 2002  9:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Nice forum, need advice

Hi Catharina.
In my opinion I do not believe that the speaking voice is any indication of what
the singing voice will be.
As a universsity student back in the late 80's it was required that an audition
be done before you were allowed to sing in one of the prestigious university
choirs. The director took one look at me, ( I am black ) heard me speak and
decided that I was a contralto. No audition was done until I spoke with my voice
teacher who in turn spoke to the director of that choir. When he finally did the
audition he was surprised to learn that I am very much a soprano.
You should find yourself a voice teacher to assist you.
Good luck to you.
Norma
elisabetta611 wrote:Greetings to this nice forum,

My name is Catharina, I'm 21 years old and my dream is to become an
operasinger. Now, why do I need advice? I have no idea if I "have a
voice" or not. At the moment I'm learning how to read music and will
start my piano-lessons soon. I can read Italian and French, speak
German fluently and I'm, so they say, a convincing actress and
dancer. Still, I'm not at all convinced that I have a voice that is
big enough for the stage. I'd like to find out if my voice is big
enough before I sing for someone and make a fool out of myself. My
speaking voice is pretty big and most of the singers I have talked to
(including Baltsa, Carreras, Hampson, Domingo, Gallardo Domas,
Gruberova) had speaking voices that matched the size of their singing-
voices. Can this be a clue?
Another problem: Ever since I was twelve I've been suffering from a
horrid sinus-infection that comes and goes as it pleases. How can
this harm or affect my voice? Where is the best way to begin if you
want to become an operasinger? Yes, I'm so green regarding the
technical aspects.
My ears are pretty good, so I think.

Can anyone help me, give me advice? I'd be very thankful.

By the way, I have a pretty nice operaforum: