Vocalist.org archive

From:  "elisabetta611" <elisabetta611@y...>
Date:  Mon Jul 29, 2002  12:15 pm
Subject:  Nice forum, need advice

Greetings to this nice forum,

My name is Catharina, I'm 21 years old and my dream is to become an
operasinger. Now, why do I need advice? I have no idea if I "have a
voice" or not. At the moment I'm learning how to read music and will
start my piano-lessons soon. I can read Italian and French, speak
German fluently and I'm, so they say, a convincing actress and
dancer. Still, I'm not at all convinced that I have a voice that is
big enough for the stage. I'd like to find out if my voice is big
enough before I sing for someone and make a fool out of myself. My
speaking voice is pretty big and most of the singers I have talked to
(including Baltsa, Carreras, Hampson, Domingo, Gallardo Domas,
Gruberova) had speaking voices that matched the size of their singing-
voices. Can this be a clue?
Another problem: Ever since I was twelve I've been suffering from a
horrid sinus-infection that comes and goes as it pleases. How can
this harm or affect my voice? Where is the best way to begin if you
want to become an operasinger? Yes, I'm so green regarding the
technical aspects.
My ears are pretty good, so I think.

Can anyone help me, give me advice? I'd be very thankful.

By the way, I have a pretty nice operaforum: