Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Jul 23, 2002  12:53 am
Subject:  Good quote from someone you probably don't take seriously.....

Quote from interview with Robert Goulet, who is stopping in San Francisco as
Emile Lebec in "South Pacific." You can read the rest on the San Jose
Mercury News website, http://www.bayarea.com/ .

Q: Is it different doing this show this summer, during the Richard Rodgers
centennial celebration?

A: It was really something playing the show in New Haven, back where it
first opened in 1949, and having Mary Rodgers come to see it. And, you know,
she took me aside and said ``Some of those notes you are holding a little
too long.'' And I said, ``I beg your pardon? Isn't that artistic
interpretation?'' And she said, ``Yes, but what about my father's artistic
interpretation when he wrote the notes?''

So I thought about it and she was right. I was holding some of the notes too
long.

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx