Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Tue May 30, 2000  3:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TECH: Falsetto WAS:American School of Countertenors

At 08:34 PM 5/29/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Mary Beth Felker-Osborn wrote:
>> In regards to the physical differences between chest, mix, head and
>> falsetto. From my training, I believe you are right on. In falsetto, the true
>> cords are no longer closing completely and vibrate in a similar fashion to
>> the way one would get the harmonics on a guitar. In fact, I believe the
>> false cords ( ventricular folds) are doing the vibrating and not the true
>> cords, hence the name falsetto. And again, it is not a firm adduction.
>

>Hi Mary Beth,
>

>First off let me say that I am a big fan of what I have heard so far of
>SLS. That said, there is one funny thing, however, that I've heard more
>than once from people in the SLS school. It is the notion that falsetto
>is based in nodal harmonic action in the vocal cords or in the false
>cords. I may be wrong, but I believe this is a misconception.

I would like to interject:

This concept come around to the list regularly. This point bears repeating--according to Zemlin in The Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Hearing the false folds are not capable of the same kind of pitch control as the true folds. There is a lot of musculature that is not included in the false folds, hence, the term "false." Falsetto is mode of vibration of the true folds. This has been observed by endoscopic study.

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 714/596-3344

emusic.com