Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Jul 21, 2002  4:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Use of Chest Voice (WAS re: classical training)

.> This concept of "inertance" implies that the actual shape of the vocal
>> tract has a direct effect on the efficiency of vocal fold oscillation.
>> Because vocal tract shape is adjustable and must be adjusted to achieve
>> vowel differences, it is only a small step from this to assume that vowel
>> selection and vowel modification have a major effect on vocal fold
>> function.
>
>lloyd,
>
> so, what you're saying is that the vowel and the 'support' of vocal
>fold oscillation are both the product of the shape of the vocal tract and
not
>any property of the vowel itself that provides this support? even if there
>were a suggestion that different vowels, themselves, have a physical effect
>on the vocal folds, it is hard to imagine how one could ever go about
proving
>such a theory. although, i have to confess, the rather amusing picture of
>one group of singers singing into the mouths of another group of singers,
>just popped into my mind. (maybe i really do have too much free time.)
>
>mike

We have covered this ground before when we discussed the necessity
of optimum loading being necessary to achieve most efficient oscillation
at the tonal source. The technology is re-proven every day in pipe organs
and television transmitters.

If the tonal source is fed to a load which does not match its source
impedance the SOURCE will be adversely affected. QED.

While I'm here, the idea of "classically trained" singers changing
over to "speech level" singing as someone has said, implies that
speech level sing is NOT a classical technique. Be that as it may,
it also suggests that the person who had not yet attained a smooth
transition from chest to head voice, had not nearly achieved a
"classical training."
Strange that such silliness should be discussed.

emusic.com