Vocalist.org archive

From:  "singer112001" <singer112001@y...>
Date:  Fri Jul 19, 2002  3:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

Karen:

I started to work on your suggestions last night.

Intuitively I sense that your tips are going to open up some doors
for me. Just to make sure I understand your suggestions, let's take
an example. If the final syllable of one musical line is '-tra', and
the first syllable of the next musical line is 'se-', and I intend to
take a breath between the tra and the se, you are saying that after
the 'a' of tra is finished but BEFORE I take the breath, I should
readjust my jaw, tongue and palate appropriately for the pitch of
the 'e' of se. Only after that readjustment do I actually take the
breath and start to sing the se.

Do I understand your suggestions correctly?

It also seems to me that I could apply this for the first line of
music when a song begins.

In the church choir in which I sing there is a now-retired
professional tenor who has a wonderful voice. I secretly admire (and
perhaps jealous of) his onset when he sings certain pitches (Es, Fs,
and Gs). His tone is clear and instantaneously adjusted to the pitch
and vowel. It's just there, whereas I standing right next to him
always am aware that there is a fraction of a second delay that I
need to make the adjustment AFTER the musical line begins.

Having said all that it will take a lot of concentration and mental
effort to take your tips and make them part of how I sing, but I'm
certainly willing to do it.

All in all I thank you for taking the time to commit them to writing
in your post.

Regards,

Bob.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19703 Re: Consonants and breath flowKaren Mercedes   Fri  7/19/2002

emusic.com