Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Jul 16, 2002  3:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] classical training

In a message dated 7/16/2002 10:26:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
johnlink@n... writes:

> Randy Buescher wrote:
>
> >Yes, Pat Benatar did have classical training and it's probably the reason
> her
> >middle is so disconnected from her chest voice in songs like
> heartbreaker...
>
> Would you explain how her classical training could lead to the
> disconnection?
>
> John Link

Classical training rarely allows a female to come out of pure chest. When
singers trained this way try to come out of pure chest they usually at some
point resort to a production that either flips or has a timbre that is not
connected to their chest voice. I get "recovering opera singers" in my
studio all the time and the problems they have with disconnects present huge
challenges to them.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com