Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Jul 11, 2002  11:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Erica Zweig wrote:

> "Caio Rossi" wrote: can anyone mention a non-classical
> singer who sings like classical singers, in terms of not
> belting, no changing his or her timbre throughout his or
> her range, etc?

I can think of a few who sang/sing as if they were classically trained,
though I don't believe any of them ever sang opera or classical art song
recitals, or even much operetta (if any):

Alfred Drake
Portia Nelson
Barbara Cook
Philip Quast
Julie Andrews
Audra McDonald
John Cullum
Clifford David
Jerry Orbach
Brian Stokes Mitchell

Here are others who sing with a consistency of line, timbre, and without
belting (unless they CHOOSE to do so for effect), but who do not sound
"classical":

Leon Bibb
Bing Crosby
Jim Reeves
Joe Williams
Alice Faye
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Annie Haslam (a vibratoless "early music" voice if I ever heard one)
Dinah Shore
Jo Stafford

Among rock singers, I think perhaps Freddie Mercury - who I believe WAS
classically trained; all his belting, timbre changes, etc. I am sure were
entirely intentional and under his control - the results of artistic
choice, and not technical deficiencies.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
______________________________________
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:15

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19639 Re: Classical/non-classical singingariagirl13   Fri  7/12/2002
19643 Re: Classical/non-classical singingJen   Sat  7/13/2002
19645 Re: Classical/non-classical singingkerubiino   Mon  7/15/2002
19646 Re: Classical/non-classical singingLee Morgan   Mon  7/15/2002
19662 Re: Classical/non-classical singingDenis J. Lanza   Thu  7/18/2002

emusic.com