Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Jul 10, 2002  6:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Question about an opera star...

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Lauri D. Goldenhersh wrote:

> Karen, Iım surprised at you, as Iıve read your posts for months, and youıre
> clearly so knowledgable about so many different areas of music. Perhaps in
> an academic environment we can remain focused on one or two branches and
> styles of music, but we all know that professional freelance performers need
> to be open to a wide variety of opportunities. I thought you would welcome
> the opportunity to at least look at another option. Exploring diversity is
> the only way most classically-trained singers can survive and stay
> artistically fresh, even if we choose to remain within one genre ourselves.
> Why is it OK to spend dozens of posts on misheard lyrics, but then
> completely dismiss a legitimate question about an unusual singer? Tsk
> tsk...

Sorry, but I'm not going to recant. It's one thing to be "an unusual
singer", and quite another to make your weird androgynous persona your
main selling point. Selling one's self based on one's IMAGE,
rather than one's talent, is standard practice in the pop music world. But
it doesn't win my respect for one's ability as a singer.

If that strange creature you call "an unusual singer" really cared about
promoting his/her/its SINGING, his/her/its Web page would NOT be designed
to focus on VISUAL impact.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:15

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19615 Re: Question about an opera star...Lauri D. Goldenhersh   Wed  7/10/2002

emusic.com