Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ms Christine Zimmermann <zimmecp@y...>
Date:  Mon Jul 8, 2002  9:27 pm
Subject:  Re: grad pedagogy programs

re: pedagogy grad programs...
I am currently finishing up my grad degree at Univ
Texas @ austin...and the ped prof here is reallly
awesome (Darlene Wiley)
I have also heard wonderful things about Rice univ (in
Houston Tx) and Joyce Farwell. richard Miller is at
Oberlin but i don;t know about graduate programs
there!
Good Luck!
Christine Zimmermann

--- Cyndee Szymkowicz <cyndeesings@y...> wrote:
> I can't resist putting my 2 cents in (that's 2 Euro
> cents, as I live in Germany). I work with one of
> the
> most respected and beloved teachers in Germany, and
> although she occasionally reads a few books and
> articles about voice studies, she is not really
> knowledgeable about the physics of singing, nor is
> she
> interested in becoming so. She studied primarily in
> Rome, the "old-fashioned Italian way", where no one
> ever spoke about the science of singing, they just
> showed you how to do it. My teacher sang on all the
> great stages of the world, is a fantastic musician
> (she accompanies her own lessons, including
> difficult
> Wagner, Strauss, Berg, etc.), and really knows what
> works. I have to add that most of her students are
> already professional singers, and almost none of
> them
> are academics, so perhaps that is why this "lack of
> knowledge" isn't important!
> I, however, am VERY interested in the physics
> involved, and am hoping to catch one of Mr. Miller's
> classes in Salzburg. Another voice-teacher friend
> of
> mine just got Mr. Miller's last book, and I'm next
> on
> the waiting list.
> This brings me to a personal question: I'm a
> dramatic soprano who has sung big roles in Germany
> for
> the last 15 years, and am preparing for what I'll do
> what I can't sing (perhaps 10 years from now?). I
> came from the acting end of theater rather than from
> the musical side, but have been very successful in
> helping colleagues with some vocal problems.
> However,
> I think some degree of training in vocal pedagogy
> would be a good addition to my experience if I
> should
> become a teacher. Can anyone recommend a good
> graduate program for someone like me? Perhaps one
> that I could fit around a performing schedule? Or
> maybe to start with some seminars, summer workshops,
> etc? Thanks for your suggestions,
> Cynthia Szymkowicz

19607 Re: grad pedagogy programstaylor23ferranti   Tue  7/9/2002
19620 Re: grad pedagogy programsJen   Thu  7/11/2002

emusic.com