Vocalist.org archive

From:  "snide76258" <snide76258@y...>
Date:  Wed Jul 3, 2002  4:05 am
Subject:  Re: performance rights?

Marschner (one of my favorites, BTW!) is certainly in the public
domain. If you are getting the parts on rental, that should take care
of it (in rare cases, it doesn't, but I think you're OK.) Assuming
you are doing it in the original German, you're probably in the clear.

Just to be safe, though, you should contact the publisher, which I
bet is Peters. I forget who their US agent is, but I'm sure it's one
of the "biggies."

I used to direct an opera workshop, and when doing works (including
translations) I always went to the publisher (G. Schirmer, Boosey and
Hawkes, whatever) to get the rights. ASCAP and BMI aren't really
applicable in most cases, and even if they were (say for Menotti,
whom I'm sure belongs to ASCAP) then the publisher will take care of
it.

Good luck, and congratulations on an excellent choice!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19550 Re: performance rights?snide76258   Wed  7/3/2002

emusic.com