Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Jul 2, 2002  1:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Richard Miller

In a message dated 7/2/2002 7:17:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

> Randy, perhaps consider that some people have a learning style that's
> different from your own. Me, I can't read something about singing in a
> book
> and apply it. I process poorly visually, and do much better aurally, and
> even
> better when the teacher is working with me personally. I can read
> something
> in a book, but when the author or a gifted communicator is telling me about
> it, it takes on a meaning for me that the words on a page don't.
>
> This doesn't mean that I (or a potential student of yours) is less gifted
> or
> intelligent - just that they take in information differently than you do.
>
> End of sermon!
>
> Peggy

I'm sorry, it still dismays me. The materials have been out there for years.
His lectures are basically reiterations of the printed materials, etc. There
is nothing new there except for seeing real time spectral analysis which is
interesting but nothing earth shaking.

Many of the teachers there have just not taken the time to familiarize
themselves with the materials before going to the workshops. On a personals
note, I was not all that overwhelmed by the work he did with the singers; it
was OK but not great.

Richard Miller is an excellent researcher and writer (and his contributions
to the literature are outstanding) but he also reeks of pomposity at times
and as Sharon said he is being vested with too much respect to the point of
being viewed as a hero.

I guess what really dismays me about the reaction he gets is that many
teachers are not doing enough reading and research on their own and can't
articulately back up their own insights into singing with any real
physiological, etc., explanation.

I get as much out of many of you on the list as I would Richard Miller...
he's just another opinion.

Randy Buescher

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19541 Re: Richard Millerarado_ge   Tue  7/2/2002

emusic.com