Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Mon Jul 1, 2002  4:17 pm
Subject:  Re: Re[2]: [vocalist] Richard Miller

Buzz wrote:

I'm curious, what did you learn that was so mind-blowing seeing that he has
bac> several books out there and a column in NATS every month? I'm not
bac> implicating anyone, but I always find it dismaying that teachers are blown
bac> away by this stuff when the information has been out there for sometime.

I wasn't at the workshop but I'd like to comment. Even though the info may have
been out there in the form of books, I think we'd all agree that one cannot
learn to sing by using books alone. Anyone can learn or memorize information in
a book. The real art is knowing as a teacher how to apply and convey it to
students. Nothing can substitute for a teacher's ears, understanding what he/she
is hearing and meaningfully communcating knowledge to the student. The value of
a masterclass is actually hearing in the singers what prompts the teacher to
apply his/her knowledge, hearing ways of wording/communicating concepts, and
seeing his/her excitement about and enjoyment of the craft.

Susan Schneider

emusic.com