Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Jul 1, 2002  4:58 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Richard Miller

In a message dated 6/30/2002 11:29:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
MezzoNotte@e... writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Just piping in after a most intense week - my first "Richard Miller in
> the Midwest" workshop. Amazing! I'm already singing better and have
> been able to apply stuff in my studio over the weekend with fabulous
> results. It made my brain hurt to get so much crammed into so short a
> time, but it was well worth it.
>

> Vicki Bryant mailto:MezzoNotte@e...
> Naperville, IL

I'm curious, what did you learn that was so mind-blowing seeing that he has
several books out there and a column in NATS every month? I'm not
implicating anyone, but I always find it dismaying that teachers are blown
away by this stuff when the information has been out there for sometime.

A few years ago I attended a one day workshop he gave at Northwestern (from
which I cited in my recent article in NATS JOS). You would have thought he
was telling the audience that the world was round when they all thought it
was flat, yet his materials had been out there for years. If you have very
little knowledge of physiology, acoustics, anatomy, and/or physics going in,
or have not read his texts, it is (in a sense) a matter of being blinded by
science. Shouldn't we all be somewhat familiar with this stuff and therefore
should not be so mind-blowing?

I especially was dismayed by the local NATS president getting up at the end
of the workshop raving about how she was going to radically overhaul her
teaching based on this one day when all it consisted of was a detailed
description of the breathing mechanism, spectral analysis and a teaching that
consisted of don't lift your chin.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19533 Re: Richard MillerSharon Szymanski   Mon  7/1/2002
19534 Re[2]: [vocalist] Richard MillerVicki Bryant   Mon  7/1/2002
19536 Re: Re[2]: [vocalist] Richard MillerSMSchneider   Mon  7/1/2002
19537 Re: Re[2]: [vocalist] Richard MillerGreypins@a...   Mon  7/1/2002

emusic.com