Vocalist.org archive

From:  Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Date:  Thu Jun 27, 2002  9:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vittoria Mio Core

Hi, Tia!
About "Vittoria". I did this piece my first
semester of college and loved it. Many of my friends
had done it in high school for different competitions
and I wanted my crack at it, so it was my first
"college song". There is so much potential here.
First of all, it is very popular. I don't think
you'll run into any classical vocalist who can't at
least hum you the tune. That can be advantageous or
disadvantageous. Because it is so popular, different
people will have differing opinions on how it should
be done best, but I wouldn't let that push me away
from doing the piece.
It's a lovely song with a very a good text. Learn
what ALL the Italian words mean in English. Make the
text make sense to you in your own language. That
makes the song much easier to memorize and you can
connect to the text much more as well.
There are several different accompaniments that go
along with the song, and I believe a few different
versions of the text, but I would look at the Joan
Boatim version in the 26 Italian Songs and Arias.
Also, take a look at the ornamentation on the return
of the theme music. I enjoyed working on those
ornamentations the most. You can use the ones
suggested or if you feel comfortable doing it, make up
your own that are suitable to the musical style and
that express you.
Have fun, it's a wonderful piece.

Trevor

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com