Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Jun 24, 2002  12:17 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

In a message dated 6/23/2002 5:43:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> COMMENT: I cannot think of any singing as a form of sustained pitch,
> including the almost non-singing of Henry Higgins in "My Fair Lady".
> If you wish to see the arguments refuting the concept of singing as
> sustained speech please check the topic in Doscher's book "The
> Functional Unity of the Singing Voice."

lloyd,

there are three distinctions between speech and singing that i
recognize. these differences are: specified pitches in singing vs. the
rather glanced at pitches of speech that seem more approximate, the wider
range of pitches used in singing and the elongation of vowels in singing.
if this is enough to trigger the use of a different motor function, that's
fine, that difference is insignificant (unless one is suffereing from
spasmodic dysphonia then, it is significant). while bridging these
differences doesn't suit all forms of singing ideally, it is enough to bring
the expression that one has inadvertently developed from years of talking,
into singing. this is elemental to true expression, in my less than humble
opinion.

mike

emusic.com