Vocalist.org archive

From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  9:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

"Lloyd W. Hanson" wrote:

> However, the methods of vocal training that are most healthful and
> productive all must stem from the same organic source. If the
> amplified singer is able to produce what Mike refers to as the
> "personal" quality" and seldom finds it necessary to sing above a mp
> and the classical singer must be capable of a ff, each should produce
> the voice via a healthy technique. Although one sings only within a
> limited dynamic range and the other at the extremes of the dynamic
> range both should function vocally with consideration of physical
> limits and acoustic considerations. Styles may be different but the
> voice is the same instrument and cannot be driven in improper
> directions without dire consequences.

In essence, this is what I meant by the bottom line being vocal health. If
one helps train singers to learn how to develop and use their instruments
well, then they are in the best position to make informed and hopefully
intelligent choices about how they apply that knowledge in the styles of
their choice.

emusic.com