Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  8:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

mike wrote:

> there is a big difference between an amplified guitar and an electric
>guitar. while i don't argue that many pop singers use the engineer to
>basically turn them into singers, many do not. some are only amplified.
>amplification allows the intimate to reach a large crowd without having to
>distort it.

...in the same way that amplification applied to an acoustic guitar
allows the sound of the acoustic guitar to be heard by a large crowd
(e.g., James Taylor).

> the same really can't be said about the opera singer, in that
>those sounds most would agree as intimate, would never make it out of the
>singer's shadow.

...nor about classical guitarists that don't use amplification when
playing in large halls. When I last heard Christpher Parkening at
Lincoln Center he played EVERYTHING with his right hand close to
bridge so that he could be heard. (He doesn't do that on his records,
at least not on the several that I own.) Too bad that I didn't like
what I heard and would have much preferred that he used a good pickup
and amplifier so that he could have sounded more like how he would
have if playing in my living room with all the nuance I've come to
expect from his records.

John Link (who loves vanilla)

http:/www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19489 Re: Classical/non-classical singingLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  6/23/2002

emusic.com