Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  7:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

In a message dated 6/23/2002 12:57:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> the singers
> >lloyd mentioned (sinatra, bennett, fitzgerald, etc.) are all great singers
> >but, they exhibit a use of the voice that is distinctly different from the
> >classical model.
>
> I would, respectfully, disagree with your last sentence. The pop
> singers I mentioned exhibit a use of the voice, in terms of vocal
> technique, that distinctly the same as the technical use of the voice
> by classical singers. Matters such as use of vibrato, conversation
> voice or non-singing voice, tone color changes, etc which are a part
> of the 30's to 50's voice stylings were expression choices, not the
> sign of a different vocal technique.

lloyd,

i have to wonder if you and i are operating under the same definition
of technique.

a while back, we had a discussion on a similar topic and the singing
of mel torme came up. if i remember correctly, you suggested that mel torme
sang with the same technique as a good classical singer. and now, you
mention bocelli in the same sentence as those who would simulate classical
technique using amplification and that this simulation is dependent on that
amplification.

i hope you would agree that mel torme produced a sound that is very
different from those who sing classical music well. (after all, he produced
a sound that was so breathy, he was nicknamed 'the velvet fog'.) if you
mean to say that if a good classical singer were to produce the same sound
torme produced, they would use the same method to produce such a sound, then
i can see that you are using 'technique' in the broadest sense.

however, such use of 'technique' is independent of any style of music.
it is the use of the voice in the most efficient manner for a variety of
purposes. i would agree that some tasks cannot, as of yet, be accomplished
without threatening the health of the voice attempting it. but, there is
still a most efficient method for accomplishing that task, causing the singer
to 'die a day later' than the less efficient methods.

there are classical singers who exhibit incredible control of their
voices and many who don't (perhaps you include bocelli in this group?).
those who do, posses great technique. those who do not, posses poor
technique. the same is true of singers in all styles of music. i will
grant you that there are some styles where poor technique is less of an issue
and some styles where the technical challenges presented by the music are
easily overcome.

concerning those who would attempt to 'sustain a scream' as their form
of singing, i think i would have to know of whom you are speaking before i
could address that point.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19482 Re: Classical/non-classical singingLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  6/23/2002

emusic.com