Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Sun May 28, 2000  3:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] American School of Countertenors WAS: David Daniels...

Dear David,
In regards to the physical differences between chest, mix, head and
falsetto. From my training, I believe you are right on. In falsetto, the true
cords are no longer closing completely and vibrate in a similar fashion to
the way one would get the harmonics on a guitar. In fact, I believe the
false cords ( ventricular folds) are doing the vibrating and not the true
cords, hence the name falsetto. And again, it is not a firm adduction.
What is curious is that many techniques encourage the use of this
falsetto, and call it light head voice, and more, encourage the use way lower
into the chest register than would be appropriate. I'm finding that a too
loose cord is just as bad as a tight cord. One must learn to allow the
dampening in the cords (shortening and thinning) in order for a truly
resonant, full tone to be established. This involves learning how to maneuver
through ones bridges or passagi, balance both air pressure and vowels.
I haven't followed this thread very closely, so I've just jumped in . I
hope, in some way, this encourages the conversation.
Cheers!
Mary Beth Felker-Osborn
Speech Level Singing student.

emusic.com