Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Jun 10, 2002  7:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] good opera-acting coaching

mike's reference to silent-film acting got *my* attention. I occasionally
gobble up the silents shown by TCM on "Silent Sunday Night" and other
places. I find a great affinity between silent films and opera. Both
genres are heavily dependent on music, and both require a highly expressive
style of acting... which works only if one's heart is in it!

Start with Lillian Gish and Lon Chaney. Enjoy!

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx

>From: Greypins@a... about twelve years ago, i saw a production of
>'boheme' in boston. most of the singers were the usual opera stiffs. but,
>as marcello, vladimir chernov displayed a style of acting that alluded to
>the swashbuckling silent movies. it was almost as if he were dancing the
>character. i'm not saying that all opera acting has to be like this, only
>that there are styles of acting, other than the strasberg approach, that
>suit opera better because of its nature.
>
>mike

19367 Re: good opera-acting coachingKaren Mercedes   Mon  6/10/2002

emusic.com