Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jun 10, 2002  1:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: documentary or movie about singers?

I just watched a really terrible film about singers, EVERYBODY SING!,
which starred Allan Jones (one of my favourite old movie singers), young
Judy Garland, and Fanny Brice, among others. Unfortunately, despite this
line up of talent, there wasn't a single decent song in the score of this
very silly movie - it was one of those escapist throwaways with little
discernable plot, and theatrical productions of gargantuan Busby Berkeley
proportions (or maybe Flo Ziegfeld proportions). Brice did her Baby Snooks
routine. Garland sang an utterly execrable song about swing. Jones sang
one very forgettable love ballad (several times), and a lot of tuneful
recitatives. I didn't bother watching the credits to the end to see who
wrote the pointless music. It just bothers me that Hollywood *wasted* such
great talents on such pathetically flimsy material. Anyone who thinks
that it's only recent years that have had the monopoly on crap movies need
only watch some of the absolute garbage that was churned out by the major
studios in the '30s. Apparently decent scriptwriters and songwriters were
in just as short supply then as they are now. After all, one really CAN
count the number of Gershwin-Porter-Kern-Rodgers-quality composers on two
hands, can't one?

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I