Vocalist.org archive

From:  " Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
Date:  Sat Jun 8, 2002  11:44 pm
Subject:  Mozartean tenors

A question for the group:

How come so many tenors sing Mozart in such a limp-wristed way? Especially
here in Australia, every Don Ottavio and Tamino (and every other Mozart
tenor) is sung by extremely light awfully polite sounding tenorinos. I'm
doing Tamino in September, and my voice verges on the dramatic, so there'll
be none of that light sound. But I'm just curious as to why this there is a
preference for the lightness? Does anybody have any idea? I've heard that
in Europe, lyric tenors (even some spintos) do Mozart as well, not just the
little guys.
Fritz Wunderlich was no light tenor, and he had great success with Mozart.

Mirko

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19341 Re: Mozartean tenorspjtenr1   Sun  6/9/2002
19361 Re: Mozartean tenorsKaren Mercedes   Mon  6/10/2002

emusic.com