Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Sat May 27, 2000  10:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] voice problem

Hi, Annelies,

I hope one of the wonderful MD's on this list will weigh in on your
question, but I'm a little concerned by some of what you wrote. Why did
your doctor tell you that the "protruberance" had been there a long time?
Could it be a nodule that he could clearly see was really calloused over?
In which case it's more serious than a "new" node, which can go away on its
own with vocal rest. In any case, why did he say it was ok to sing on it?
If these symptoms you experience in singing are new to you, only a few
weeks, the "protruberance" couldn't have been there all that long, it seems
to me, if it is the cause. And singing on it, if it is a nodule, is NOT a
good idea. I don't want to alarm you; I'm not a doctor, I'm just writing
what I have come to understand over the course of my singing career.

If this is a node, taking steroids will only reduce any swelling in the
vocal folds, but singing while on steroids is very risky; professional
singers only do it when absolutely necessary, and then only once or twice in
a career. There are vocal and other side effects; I really hope you find
another doctor for a second opinion. I'm with Naomi - try to postpone your
exam and find a doctor who knows about singers and singing before you sing
another note.

Susan May Schneider