Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri Jun 7, 2002  5:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: documentary or movie about singers?

One that I've yet to see on anyone's list:

"San Francisco" (MGM, 1938)
Stars Jeannette MacDonald, Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy and one whopper of an
earthquake. Includes a montage of scenes from the Gounod "Faust" (with
Jeannette as Marguerite, natch) and one from "La Traviata." Story is lots
of fun, too.

FUN FACT: There really WAS an opera performance in San Francisco the night
before the Big One of 1906: "Carmen" with Caruso himself as Don Jose.
Caruso said that the following morning he dreamed that he was on the boat
back to Naples..... then awoke and discovered that the rocking wasn't no
boat! He did end up on a boat later that day, one of the ferries that took
refugees over to Oakland.

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, CA (which got hit by the earthquake, too, but didn't have as big a
fire)