Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sarah Daughtrey-Huff" <Diva1tenor@c...>
Date:  Sat May 27, 2000  7:52 pm
Subject:  Re: Tongue Tension

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Melanie <> wrote:
> At 14:41 5/27/2000 -0000, you wrote:

> Anyway, one thing that I often do (with myself and with my
students) is to
> sing with the tongue sticking out of the mouth-- not with tension,
but just
> let the flop out where is wants to go. for me it feels that if I
let my
> tongue sit gently *behind* my bottom teeth, that my tongue is too
far back.

I have to respond to this by saying that the natural resting position
of one's tongue IS resting lightly behind the bottom teeth! I
understand the validity of "flopping" your tongue around, and even
out of the mouth to try to relax it, but I think pushing it forward
and letting it hang out while singing will only create tension in the
jaw and in the big muscle under one's chin. You certainly don't want
your tongue to get in the way when you're singing.

Sarah

emusic.com