Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Tue Jun 4, 2002  3:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What I Learned From My Audition (long)

I agree, but I ALSO think it is the soloist's job to follow the
accompanist. The role of leadership is shared in a good partnership.

***

I think that in a relationship that is built between a pianist and a singer
(and Thomas Grubb HATES the term "accompanist"), yes, that role is shared.
But in an audition where there is no time to establish a relationship,
someone has to lead, and someone has to follow. Since the singer is the one
up for the job, the pianist should follow. That said, the singer needs to
be a STRONG leader. Take tempo. Often, the pianist follows and then the
singer gives up the lead and starts to follow the pianist and the pianist
slows down and the singer slows down even more and pretty soon it's a
disaster. And who gets blamed? The singer leaves the audition saying,
"That pianist kept playing slower and slower!!"

So when my students are preparing for a studio recital, I will tell the
pianist to lead a little -- especially if they are especially young or
timid. Push them a bit. If it's too much, they can take the reins and slow
down. I also tell my students that the pianist is working for them
(assuming they've paid a fee) and it's their responsibility to tell the
pianist what they want. They'll frequently tell me after they've rehearsed,
"She played it so fast/slow/loud/soft" and I'll say to them, "Go back and
tell HER that, not me. She's working for you today!"

Christine Thomas,
Mezzo Soprano

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a!"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19273 Re: What I Learned From My Audition (long)omtara   Tue  6/4/2002

emusic.com