Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Tue Jun 4, 2002  3:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What I Learned From My Audition (long)

Karena wrote:

>I feel really lucky because my teacher trains me in my lessons to
>NOT FOLLOW THE ACCOMPANIST - it's his job to follow me.

Yes, but isn't it also the job of the soloist to follow the accompanist?

> I get in big
>trouble if I adjust myself to match the pianist's tempo,

So would you sing at one tempo while the accompanist plays at another?

> or hesitate
>if he makes a mistake, and I guess 9 months of that nit-picking
>worked because the horrible pianist of yesterday hardly even fazed
>me. I want the rest of my singing to be like that. . . just me
>doing what I do, and correctly, no matter what anyone else around me
>does!

Are you sure that you want to do that? What about the idea of the
soloist and the accompanist as a partnership? What about the idea of
an ensemble?

I'm reminded of stories about two jazz greats and how they dealt with
their accompanists.

Louis Armstrong was once asked how he could sound so good night after
night, no matter who was in the rhythm section (piano, bass, and
drums). He replied that while travelling to the gig he would imagine
playing with the best rhythm section ever. When he arrived at the gig
he would continue to play with the imagined rhythm section if the
actual one didn't measure up.

When Herbie Hancock was playing piano for a Miles Davis trumpet solo
he once played a horribly wrong chord. Miles heard what Herbie had
played and responded by playing a phrase that fit Herbie's chord,
making it sound as though it had been planned.

John Link

http:/www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19266 Re: What I Learned From My Audition (long)omtara   Tue  6/4/2002
19267 Re: What I Learned From My Audition (long)John Link   Tue  6/4/2002
19268 Re: What I Learned From My Audition (short)Reg Boyle   Tue  6/4/2002
19271 Re: What I Learned From My Audition (long)Karen Mercedes   Tue  6/4/2002

emusic.com