Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Jun 3, 2002  11:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What I Learned From My Audition (long)

I would just add one item from MY experience: The last three times I've had
a "crap accompanist," he/she turned out to be the music director! (Regular
accompanist got sick/got stuck in traffic or on Muni/had to play a
funeral/whatever.) Inasmuch as I can't afford to hire an accompanist for
every audition, I just try to keep my cool and be perfectly professional.
And thank the accompanist when you're finished, ESPECIALLY if he/she is
good!

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx

>From: Karen Mercedes
>>A BAD ACCOMPANIST ALWAYS MAKES THE SINGER SOUND/LOOK BAD. Unfortunately,
>there always appear to be those people who sing the right aria, or who sing
>their aria in exactly the way the accompanist is used to playing it, who
>make the accompanist look better than he/she is. So that by comparison,
>those of us who bring in arias the accompanist has never played before, or
>who sing their arias faster - or more rubato - than the accompanist is used
>to, get crappy accompaniment. And I hate to say it, but I have come to
>believe strongly in the unjust fact that no matter if the accompanist is
>100% at fault for making your audition aria "jump the tracks", YOU will be
>blamed in the mind of most auditors - even if they know LOGICALLY that the
>fault wasn't yours, the GUT impression they
>>Auditions are high-pressure enough. Singers don't need the added pressure
>of a crap accompanist!
>
>Karen Mercedes http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

19261 Re: What I Learned From My Audition (long)Jen   Tue  6/4/2002
19262 Re: What I Learned From My Audition (long)John Link   Tue  6/4/2002

emusic.com