Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jun 3, 2002  10:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]Annie Audition

Do you have a role in mind that you DO want to audition for? Obviously,
the song one would use to audition for Miss Hannigan (the middle aged
comic villainess) would not be the same song one would use to audition for
Grace Farrell (the ingenue).

Also note that if you're considering auditioning for Miss Hannigan, you
should do what you can to learn whether the theatre company doing the
production has a track-record of casting younger people in middle-aged
roles. If it's a university theatre company, this won't be an issue, but
if it's professional or community, they may be more likely to cast actual
middle aged folks in middle aged roles - in which case I'd suggest you
stick with Grace Farrell as your audition objective.

Grace doesn't have any solos, but sings in several of the ensemble
numbers. I suggest you find another "ingenue" type song (or songs) from a
Charles Strouse show and use that - or if not from a Strouse show, from a
show by Strouse "belt" songwriting contemporaries Cy Coleman, Kander &
Ebb (though, now that I think of it, I can't remember a single "ingenue"
type song from any Kander & Ebb show), Jerry Herman, Maltby & Shire,
Stephen Sondheim (at his most light-hearted), Schmidt & Jones, etc.

Also, if you are allowed only one song, I'd make it an uptempo. I'll suggest a
few uptempo possibilities, and a few ballads, appropriate for a
belter-ingenue.

UPTEMPO

You've got possibilities - from Strouse's IT'S A BIRD, IT'S A PLANE, IT'S
SUPERMAN

That was yesterday - from Jerry Herman's MILK AND HONEY

The other side of the tracks - from Cy Coleman's LITTLE ME

I want it all - from Maltby & Shire's BABY

What more do I need? - from Stephen Sondheim's SATURDAY NIGHT

That'll show him - from Sondheim's A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO
THE FORUM

Another hundred people - from Sondheim's COMPANY

BALLAD

Whatever time there is - from Strouse's FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON

How lovely to be a woman - from Strouse's BYE BYE BIRDIE

Anyone can whistle - from Sondheim's ANYONE CAN WHISTLE

Much more - from Schmidt & Jones's THE FANTASTICKS

Is it really me? - Schmidt & Jones's 110 IN THE SHADE

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:15

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19260 Question about going to Graduate SchoolDolphin aura   Mon  6/3/2002
19282 Re: Question about going to Graduate Schoolsnide76258   Wed  6/5/2002

emusic.com