Vocalist.org archive

From:  Oberon603@a...
Date:  Sat May 27, 2000  3:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] American School of Countertenors WAS: David Daniels,...

In a message dated 5/26/00 12:45:37 PM Central Daylight Time, Axwell@a...
writes:

<< What I don't understand is why is there any need for a man to
sound like a woman. Aren't there more than enough women to play these
parts? What is the advantage of having female sounding men. >>

Women who've sung these roles in the past have been fantastic, but it looses
the sensationalism it had in the baroque period when people heard a man
singing that high. That was part of the audiences enjoyment back then, and
it's now becoming part of their enjoyment again. They're male characters, so
why not have males sing them? If you don't like it, don't go, it's as simple
as that!

Best wishes,

Kenneth Ealy
Primo Uomo

"An opera begins long before the curtain goes up, and ends long after it has
come
down. It starts in my imagination, it becomes my life, and it stays part of my
life long after I've left the opera house." Maria Callas

emusic.com