Vocalist.org archive

From:  Martin Bell <MartinBell@r...>
Date:  Tue May 28, 2002  5:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Digest Number 1166

Teaching young students- From a former student's prospective:
I was a boy Soprano. Went to a Boy's Choir school and sang with several
professional children's groups. At 14 my voice hadn't changed yet and I was
starting to be asked to sing more challenging solo works with
orchestra(chichester pslams,Faure Requiem). When my voice did change the
following year it was dissaterous. I was not able to even phonate on pitch for
many years. A much more severe "break" than the normal adolescent voice change.
I have to believe that singing through that period in my development was
responsible, so I would warn teachers who are dealing with male students
anywhere in this age group to be very carefull.
MB

There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Re: pitch