Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun May 26, 2002  10:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Aspirate stage speech for an Irish dialect

In a message dated 5/26/2002 5:58:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stedco@e... writes:

> My concern as Iım working through the tape is, he states the Irish brogue
> > requires a change in vocal fold production. He says an aspirate
> production is
> > necessary to make it fly. He seems to be right; I tried it without and
> sounded
> > like a freak (sort of like Corky St. Claire doing Higgins at the end of
> > ³Waiting for Guffman.²)

i don't think this is true. i have heard plenty of real irish
speakers who did not aspirate their speech. i think the key is to
distinguish between northern and southern accents, depending on which one is
more appropriate. (of course, when in doubt, fake it. it's only drama.)

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19220 Re: Aspirate stage speech for an Irish dialectmichael.chesebro   Mon  5/27/2002

emusic.com