Vocalist.org archive

From:  "chosdad" <chosdad@y...>
Date:  Tue May 21, 2002  11:22 pm
Subject:  Notation, was Re: Super High Head Voice

Dear List:

Just for clarity, do we all understand the following:

middle C is C4
the index (as in note xj, where x is the note, j the index) does NOT
change until the next octave

SO...

the note a whole step above middle C (C4) is D4 (not D5)...

a tenor's "high B" is B4

a tenor's "high C" is C5
a soprano's "high B" is B5
a soprano's "high C" is C6

etc.

The poster wrote,
"Personally for me, E5, G5, and even up to A5, is not much trouble.
It is only after that A5 that tension builds with more dynamic
volumes and C6 becomes much harder to reach."

If, as I suspect, the poster is misusing the "index" - then the post
perhaps makes sense. If the poster is using the index properly, the
range being described is a high soprano range, and, as Tako noted,
such a range would not normally be an issue to a tenor unless said
tenor wishes to be a sopranist (or is perhaps singing some very rangy
sort of contemporary or rock music).

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

emusic.com