Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marjorie Bunday" <mbunday@e...>
Date:  Mon May 20, 2002  6:41 pm
Subject:  ANNOUNCE: Washington, DC June 2 Recital

Hi Vocalisters,

I don't usually post my concert announcements to the list, but this is the most
extensive solo concert I've done, and I also thought other mezzo-sopranos would
be interested in the repertoire. The Vercoe piece is technically for soprano,
but I find it works very well in a mezzo's range, with a couple of extended high
A's.

**************
On Sunday, June 2 at 4:00 PM, I will be performing in a concert at Takoma Park
Presbyterian Church (in the Assembly Room, not the main church), 310 Tulip
Avenue (corner of Tulip and Maple), Takoma Park, MD. The program covers a
period of five centuries, including music by Henry VIII, Purcell, Vivaldi,
Mozart, Villa-Lobos, Scott Joplin and nine works by living composers, five of
them world premieres (and four of these composers will be at the concert!).

The Performers:
Neil Gladd, mandolinist / composer
Steve Smith, guitarist / composer
Marjorie Bunday, mezzo-soprano
Joyce N. Lundy, soprano

Click below (or copy and paste into your browser's address bar) to see the full
program, interactive program notes, directions and ticket information:

http://www.neilgladd.com/6-2bios.html

I'll be singing "Transit aetas, volant anni" from Vivaldi's Judith Triumphans;
"Slumber song" by Clara Lyle Boone; Hilary Tann's "A girl's song to her mother";
the world premiere of Neil Gladd's "Three Songs After Thomas Campion"; and the
monumental "Herstory IV" for soprano and mandolin or marimba (this is the world
premiere with mandolin - it's been performed twice with marimba) by Elizabeth
Walton Vercoe. I'll also be joining Joyce Lundy on Henry Purcell's "Hark how
the songsters" and the final chorus from Scott Joplin's opera "Treemonisha",
titled "A Real Slow Drag".

Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online at Neil's web site (address above)
or at the door. This is a small venue and seating is limited, so get your
tickets in advance or get to the door on the early side of 4:00. We will try to
not turn anyone away, but might not have enough chairs. If money is a problem,
we are looking for a few good ticket seller / ushers that could show up an hour
before the concert to help in exchange for a free show.

It is recommended that you come by Metro, as the Church is in a residential
neighborhood and has only limited street parking (no parking lot). There is
parking nearby, however, at the Takoma Metro Station, along the street on
Carroll Avenue, and in a small lot on the corner of Carroll and Willow.

I hope to see many of you there - this will be a fun concert!

Musically yours,
Marje
mbunday@e...
http://www.altodiva.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19179 Re: ANNOUNCE: Washington, DC June 2 RecitalChristine Thomas   Mon  5/20/2002
19180 Re: ANNOUNCE: Washington, DC June 2 Recitalccgraham7   Mon  5/20/2002

emusic.com