Vocalist.org archive

From:  "James W. Glass" <jwglass@h...>
Date:  Fri May 17, 2002  6:00 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Teachers who can't (was--Amazing Opera review)

I am a voice teacher who suffers from early onset Parkinson's disease,
having been diagnosed 10 years ago at age 45. The effects of the disease are
such that I no longer perform except in very informal situations where
people know about the disease and can accept the tremors and other effects.
While my performance is less impressive than it once was, I believe that
dealing with the disease and learning how to sing in spite of the condition
has made me a far better teacher than I used to be, and the challenge of at
least partially overcoming the symptoms has kept me fresh as a closet singer
and a teacher. So I guess that it boils down to why the teacher does not
perform-is it a lack of ability? If a teacher has never had the experience
of developing his or her own voice to a level where public performance is
possible then that teacher would not know exactly how one does that. Does
this make sense?

James Glass [mail to: jwglass@h...]

emusic.com