Vocalist.org archive

From:  "tremucci" <Sperrycito@a...>
Date:  Sat May 18, 2002  6:43 pm
Subject:  Re: Super High Head Voice

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "takooda" <toda@m...> wrote:
> > I wanted to ask a question about the
> > super high range of head voice since at this point I'm running
into
> > problems concerning this area.
>
> If you are a tenor, why are your worried about trouble with the
high
> soprano range? Are you considering changing career to
> countertenor/sopranist?
>
> > At low volumes I can vocalize all the
> > way up to E6 without preasure. My problem happens when I change
> > dynamics from low volume to loud, My larynx rises and preasure
> builds
> > up at about Bb5 and my E6's are lost and I can only vocalize in
> full
> > voice past the Bb5 up to C6.
>
> Many sopranos (females) raise their larynges somewhat for their
> highest notes, so if it doesn't involve lots of tension and it
> happens naturally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
>
> I can think of a possible reason why you lose range at loud
volumes.
> The muscles within your vocal folds may be contracting to provide
> more resistance to the air pressure from your lungs for the greater
> volumes - the resulting thickening of the vibrating mass would
lower
> the highest potential frequency of your folds. When you sing
softly,
> it's possible you are using a true falsetto, with relaxed (and
> therefore thinner) folds. Relaxed folds don't provide a lot of
> resistance - it could explain the soft volume at the very top. True
> falsetto generally doesn't involve full closure of the folds,
> either... another reason the sound may be softer.
>
> Another possibility is that you really are raising your larynx too
> much and activating all sorts of extrinsic muscles that would
> preclude the kind of finesse necessary for the highest notes.
>
> This is all just wild speculation! I've never heard you, and I've
> never seen your layrnx ;-)
>
> > Is there a different approach one must take when vocalizing these
> > notes, roughly Ab5 and beyond, than the lower head voice notes?
> How
> > do women approach the notes leading up to C6 and beyond in full
> > voice? And would a man, who could hit those notes, have to
> approach
> > it differently than a woman would? Basically any advise would be
> > helpfull.
>
> Again, it's really hard for me to answer this without hearing you,
> but I have a question... is it possible to switch smoothly and
> naturally between your lower head voice and what you are calling
your
> high head voice? If not, I'd guess you are using a whistle register
> (as opposed to a true flageolet) for the top.
>
> Whistle voice is not very healthy, and it is difficult to control
(I
> have access to this register...) If you are serious about pursuing
> this further, I invite you to join TheCountertenors egroup at
> [...]

Thank you for replying, I'll go over to that board and take a look.

My voice switches smoothly from my lower head voice to my higher,
which I would say is around E5. I would say that break area is
somewhat easier to control than my chest to lower head, which I find
that only after a good warm-up, I am able to negotiate well. I can
do a crescendo without any breaks from my lowest note to about A5,
but after that tension builds up to that C6. That E6 I know for sure
is in my whistle register. Only at low volume am I able to control
that E6 somewhat without much preasure. I believe pitch in the
whistle register is controled by air preasure, so I don't know how
that may play into things.

Thanks,

Ashton

emusic.com