Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Sat May 27, 2000  12:48 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Abraham and Isaac

Molly McLinden wrote that she was getting ready to take on Britten's
"Abraham and Isaac". Have fun, Molly! I've had the opportunity to sing
this work twice in the last two years, with two different tenors, and it's
worth all the hard work, particularly with a vocally & musically compatible
pair of singers. It truly has some of everything: ensemble singing (and a
chance to "play G*d" <g>), solo characters, drama - it's one of most
rewarding things I've ever sung.

Performing hints: Listen to each other. I don't mean you have to sound
exactly alike in the "G*d" sections, but the right blend can raise the air
on your audience's arms (and yours). Enjoy the characters; I wouldn't
advise doing "staging" per se, but act with your voice and your face.

Recordings: I looked around a little before this last performance but
didn't end up buying a recording; I'd worked on A&I off and on over several
years, so I didn't need to hear it as badly as if I were just making its
acquaintance. I do remember there being a few out there, though. You might
try the ubiquitous Amazon.com, or towerrecords.com, or
barnesandnoble.com. One suggestion: look for a recording with a
mezzo/contralto rather than a countertenor/male alto; while you can
certainly learn a lot from hearing any good singer sing this, you may feel
more at home with a more similar timbre to your own. Remember, it was
premiered by Peter Pears and Kathleen Ferrier, with Britten himself at the
piano.

Enjoy the journey!

Leslie J.
Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; Contralto
Dept. of Music, Southeast MO State Univ.
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339

emusic.com