Vocalist.org archive

From:  colin-reed@l...
Date:  Thu May 16, 2002  9:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Amazing Opera review

I agree with Lloyd on this point. Unfortunately, UK reviews of this type
are all too common, the point usually being to show how exceptionally clever
and witty and/or cutting the reviewer can be. It can occasionally be
entertaining
reading, but is little use in telling you how the performance really was.
As another example from the same rag, look at the review for The Sixteen
concert in the same edition.

I think that in general this is supposed to be a good review. I can attest
to the point that Carolyn Sampson is an excellent soprano. I knew her at
university and was lucky enough to have her sing solo in the last concert
I conducted there. However, this reviewer seems more intent on making slightly
off-centre comments about the colour of her dress. It's a shame, but not
enough people seem to care about reviewers doing their principal task to
ever complain about this trend.

Regards

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19094 Re: Amazing Opera reviewReg Boyle   Thu  5/16/2002
19097 Re: Amazing Opera reviewcolin-reed@l...   Thu  5/16/2002
19104 Re: Amazing Opera reviewReg Boyle   Thu  5/16/2002

emusic.com