Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Wed May 15, 2002  5:59 am
Subject:  Summer trip to Oberlin, OH

Hi Everyone,
This is basically a "sharing my life" post
so feel free to skip on ...
Today my 17 year old daughter,who is also one of my voice students,found
out she is accepted to the summer Vocal Academy for HS Students at
Oberlin music conservatory. She is very excited... a choirmate at her
highschool attended this summer workshop for 2 years and spoke highly of
it, so Nora has been hoping she would be accepted. We're thinking of
making a road trip out of it and driving from Washington State. I would
drop her off at the college and then hang out for the week. I've never
been to Ohio nor even been to Chicago. Im excited about the idea of
hearing some music here and there, but I also have to live as cheaply as
possible.
Anyone with any suggestions about cheap but safe and clean places to
stay, music events going on the week of July 13-20th, in the general
area around Cleveland/Pittsburg, Chicago? I'd like to take in a
recital, maybe some vocal renaissance music, and I love straight ahead
jazz...

Some of you might remember I've been wanting to join NATS and finally
have gotten around to contacting some NATS teachers. I'm going to my
first meeting this Sunday and I think I might be picking up my 2nd
recommendation there. Luckily I had 3 students make it to state
competition and my students singing a duet won 3rd place at state in the
small women's ensemble division. So, a couple NATS teachers I met heard
them and now can use what they heard as a basis for a recommendation.

Next week I'm finally also going to an ENT who specializes in treating
professional singers with the hopes that the mystery of my on and off
again voice will begin to be unraveled. If I have to go to a speech
therapist, I will... I so much want to sing classical music consistently
again. I'm also going to start studying with a teacher again... as soon
as she has an opening for students. (I've picked one already, but of
course she's heavily booked!)

I've been slugging along teaching lessons for 21 years but only now am I
finally really enjoying what I'm doing... I'm so grateful to everyone
who is a regular VOCALIST lister for helping me be more motivated.
Happy Spring to you all!
Deanna in Edgewood, Washington State

---

emusic.com