Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Wed May 15, 2002  12:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: performance rights

Naomi:
I found your comment that "many scores have an indication of where & how
to apply for performance rights" curious because I don't recall ever
seeing a formal statement of that sort on a choral score. I even checked
a few scores b-4 I started writing this e-mail.

I've seen these statements on a few instrumental scores. The one that
stands out in my mind was in the inside cover of a piece by William
Mathias that my husband was going to perform in a recital. It read
something along the lines of "written request for performance permission
must be submitted if this piece is to be played outside a service of
worship". I wrote the letter for my husband to OUP about 4 months before
the performance but they never responded.

I expect that we'll be in contact with composers whose work may not have
been formally published but that doesn't solve the ASCAP/BMI, etc. issue.

Aside to Karen Mercedes: I've been on the ASCAP & BMI websites & have
only gotten more confused. ASCAP hasn't responded to my e-mail either so
I guess I'll have to get on the phone with them.

Thanks for the input!

Pat