Vocalist.org archive

From:  Steven Cogswell <stedco@e...>
Date:  Sat May 11, 2002  9:21 am
Subject:  Introduction & a Question

Greetings! I recently subscribed to the list and thought Iıd briefly
introduce myself. Iım Steve, a 37 year old baritone living in Denver,
Colorado. Iıve had 23 years of classically bent training, but make my living
in musical theater. I have a small private voice studio (I work mainly with
actors who want to increase their castability) and also am a Nationally
Certified Massage Therapist. I look forward to benefiting from the knowledge
and experience of this listıs participants.

Speaking of, I was hoping to pick some brains. I recently came into
possession of Berton Coffinıs Chromatic Vowel Chart and his book ³Overtones
of Bel Canto.² My pedagogy teacher in college was a student of his, so my
teaching approach is somewhat in line with his work, but in a 10 week course
we only scratched the surface of his very detailed approach. Iıve been using
his chart and exercises for the past month and am thrilled with the results.
Consequently, Iıve started introducing it to my students with very positive
feedback.

But before I really embrace the whole approach, I thought Iıd get feedback
from yıall. Early positive results donıt always mean long term success. I
will say, the singerıs who came out of my pedagogy teacherıs studio were
very fine, and have gone on to do quite well, but that couldıve been more a
result of her as a teacher than the actual theory. Iıd love to hear from
anyone who has had experience good or bad with Mr. Coffinıs work.

Thanks!
Steven Cogswell

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19087 Summer trip to Oberlin, OHEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Wed  5/15/2002
19120 Re: Introduction & a QuestionLloyd W. Hanson   Fri  5/17/2002

emusic.com