Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omi@u...>
Date:  Fri May 10, 2002  1:48 am
Subject:  re: Advice for a "Candide" audition?

Elizabeth wrote:

>I have an audition for "Candide" for a small opera company in San Francisco.
> I've played the Old Lady (see the "Candide" page on my website), so I'm
>well-acquainted with her aria "I am easily assimiliated." HOWEVER, that
>aria is a) quite long and b) a real beast for the accompanist.

I would think that the house pianist would be familiar with the score,
since it is the show being cast. Sometimes you can phone and find out who
the house pianist will be -- if it's someone you know, that can be useful
information. Bringing your own accompanist may also be an option. Is it
plausible to offer only one verse of the tango? Your alternative
suggestion may work, too.

If it were my audition, I would choose the thing I sing best and then make
it work, length-wise and pianist-wise.

Break legs!
Naomi

emusic.com